DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEATBALLS WITH AUBERGINE CAPONATA
A healthy and tasty but different vegetarian option which is easy and fast to make, perfect for a quick supper option for busy people! I want to help provide easy to make healthy supper recipes that can be made quickly but are more balanced, tasty and nutritious than ready meals.
I used Quorn Swedish Style Meatballs and a fresh tomato and basil sauce from the supermarket then added additional ingredients.
- Recipe for two people:
- Half a packet of Quorn meatballs
- 1 whole aubergine, cubed and roasted in little olive oil,salt and black pepper
- Half a tub fresh tomato and basil sauce from M&S
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch red chilli flakes
half packet of baby spinach
- 2 portions of cooked brown rice (takes about 30 mins to cook on a low simmer or even quicker a packet of precooked wholegrain brown rice is enough for two people in this recipe)
Simply lightly fry Quorn meatballs to brown them in olive oil for 5 mins then add to a tray of cubed aubergine drizzled with olive oil in hot oven (200’C ) for 20 mins until aubergine is golden brown. Put tomato and basil sauce in a saucepan with about 4 tbspns water, chopped cherry tomatoes, chilli flakes and capers. heat gently then add aubergine and meatballs for 10 mins. Wilt the spinach and serve on top of hot cooked rice and meatball caponata sauce on top. Season with additional black pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs on top if you have them like flat parsley or additional basil leaves…Then enjoy!